Story by ADRIANNE WALLINE CAMPBELL
The Walton School Board held its regular meeting on Feb. 21, 2023, at the South Walton High School. Board member Kim Kirby was absent.
It was agreed that Educational Management Consultant Services, Inc. (EMCS) would provide professional consulting services for athletic services to the school district. EMCS, Inc. are to be paid a rate of $4,840.00 (consultant rate and a 10% administrative fee) effective January 4, 2023, to June 30, 2023.
Agreement was approved between Faulkner University of Montgomery, AL, and the Walton County School Board to provide opportunities for Faulkner University College of Health Science students (Speech Language Pathology, Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy) to complete clinical experience hours in Walton County School District with qualified staff.
Agreement was approved with Flippen Group for Capturing Kids’ Hearts Training for West DeFuniak Elementary, Mossy Head Elementary, Walton High School, Paxton School and Maude Saunders Elementary Teachers. It is the “premier source of professional development for educators nationwide focusing on relational, intention, transformational interactions with students.” Flippen Group will provide two days of Capturing Kids’ Hearts training for each of the following schools in Summer of 2023: West DeFuniak Elementary, Mossy Head Elementary, Walton High School, Paxton School (K-12), and Maude Saunders Elementary. Total package cost is $137,000.
A memorandum of understanding, or MOU, was made between the Walton County School Board and the Friends of South Walton Sea Turtles (FOSWST) was approved. FOSWST in partnership with Inwater Research Group (IRG) has developed an educational program suitable for grade school level students and the goal is to teach Sea Turtles conservation to all fifth-grade students in the Walton County. The program consists of classroom instruction, a biology laboratory, and field trips to the beaches of Walton County.
Approval was given to adjust compensation to Caldwell Architects for Paxton School Phase 1- Site Improvements to expand the current Phase I work scope. It will include architectural contract documents with structural design for the new main entrance portico with drop-off canopies and monumental sign, landscape, site irrigation and lighting design for the new main entrance area parking with access drives, and site lighting design for the new south entrance roadway with parking areas. In the amount of $113,360.00.
Contingency Modification #15 for Freeport Elementary School Addition Phase 2 to Allstate Constructions in the amount of -$268,833.12.
Notice of Proposed Purchase of Real Property by Walton County School Board was given. It is approximately 1.3 acres north of the Paxton School and is planned to be a retention pond. The sellers are Kenneth Cook and Charles Cook, and the amount is $50,000.
Approval was given for the School Board Members to Travel to Tallahassee, Florida to Attend the 36th Annual Day in the Legislature on March 15-17, 2023.
Approval was given to Board member Jeri Michie to travel to Tampa, Florida on March 30, 2023, to attend the COSSBA (Consortium of State School Boards Associations) Inaugural National Conference. She was also given approval to travel to Gainesville, Florida to attend the FSBA School Finance Forum 2.0 and More CBM Forum, April 13-14, 2023.
West DeFuniak Elementary Principal Darlene Paul completed the 2023-2024 School Calendar and 12 Month Employee Holiday Schedule.
• Approval was given for the Freeport High School Robotics Class to Travel to Ocean Springs, Mississippi on March 10-11, 2023 for the Aerial Drone Competition.
• Approval was given for the Freeport Middle School 6th Grade Students to Travel to Valdosta, Georgia on April 14, 2023, to Visit Wild Adventures.
• Approval was given to the Paxton High School 8th Grade Students to Travel to Tallahassee, Florida on March 15, 2023, to Visit the Challenger Learning Center.
• Approval was given to the Paxton High School Physics Students to Travel to Mobile, Alabama on March 2, 2023, for the 27th Annual Physics Teacher-Student Workshop 2023.
• Approval was given to generate a purchase order to B & T Fencing for Phase 2 fencing project for Walton High School in the amount of $32,960.00.
• Approval was given to the Walton County School District Gifted Program to Travel to Montgomery, Alabama on March 7, 2023, to Attend the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.
• Approval was given to generate purchase orders to White Cap and Trane for the New Freeport Middle School Project in the amount of $1,759,422.00.
• Approval was given for a three-year lease with Mobile Modular for four (4) relocatable classrooms at Paxton School for $119,688.00. These are to replace the current units.
Due to the upcoming spring break, the March 21 meeting has been rescheduled for March 14, at the South Walton High School.